Homepage > Accueil > Activities > Cultural activities > Patrimony

Patrimony



 

Castle of Puisserguier (Puisserguier)

Plan dal cathars - 34620 Puisserguier

Castle of Cathar period XI and XII century.
In the heart of the village circulade of Puisserguier, on one of pilgrim ways of Saint Jacques de Compostelle.
Its numerous relics testify to a rich history: in the year 1209 during the Albigensian Crusade, it was one of first faydit castles (rebel) obliging Simon de Montfort to come to besiege it.

Read more
Fermer la carte

Fontcaude's abbey (Cazedarnes)

Abbaye de Fontcaude - 34460 Cazedarnes

Fontcaude's Abbey is a listed historical monument and the ultimate example of Romanesque architecture in the Languedoc region. This monument is standing near a holy spring and on the pilgrims' way of Saint Jacques de Compostelle

Open everyday from 10am to 7pm except on sunday morning

Read more
Fermer la carte

The abbey-church Sainte Marie is one of the finest examples of the Languedocian roman period.

Please remember to bring a coin of 2 € to switch on the lights :  besides the treasure, you may also find a sarcophagus dating from the 3rd Century IIIè, the white marble-made altars from the school of Narbonne and the adjacent museum opened during the summer season.

Read more
Fermer la carte

The chapel that sits on the hill called “la Corne” or “the Horn” (“Saint Chinian de la Corne” is an old name for the village) is today a pilgrimage site as well as an impressive tourist attraction that dominates the town of Saint Chinian and the Vernazobres valley.

 

Read more
Fermer la carte

The church of Notre Dame de la Barthe (Saint Chinian)

Rue de l'Eglise - 34360 Saint Chinian

The parish church of Notre Dame de la Barthe was ravaged by religious wars. Repairs to the façade have preserved two of the Roman arches from the old building.

Hidden away inside is an outstanding 18th century organ, which was listed as a historical monument in 1976. It is attributed to J.B. Micot, and includes 1919 pipes, 100 of which are on the façade.

 

Read more
Fermer la carte

The old Benedictine abbey dedicated to Saint-Anian (which since 1855 has served as the town hall) dates from the 9th century. No trace of it remains today. Modest in size, it was home to twelve monks and flourished up to the 13th century, when its cloister is thought to have been built.

Read more
Fermer la carte

This majestic keep, nestled in the hillside and overlooking the village, marks the location of the old fortress. At 15 metres high and 6 metres wide, the Cessenon keep was built entirely from local materials. The lower, most recent part has pointed arches, and gargoyles once adorned the angles of the building.

Read more
Fermer la carte

The church was rebuilt in the Roman period and extensively reworked and fortified during the 15th and 16th centuries. The gothic building, which is characteristic of the gothique méridional or Southern Gothic style, has nevertheless preserved some remains of the Roman church which had three naves and a small transept. This fortified church is one of the region’s few rural sacred places to have preserved remains of the old stained-glass windows.

In the Middle Ages, the parish of Cruzy was dependent on the diocese of Narbonne, and its church, which is dedicated to Saint Eulalia of Mérida, comes under the responsibility of the chapter of the cathedral of Saint-Just. This certainly explains the building’s scale and architectural quality, and the presence of graphic stained-glass windows and valuable antique furnishings such as a 14th-century polychromatic stone Madonna and Child, a 16th-century stone Pensive Christ and an 18th-century wrought-iron lectern.

Guided tours available on appointment only.

Read more
Fermer la carte

Saint Etienne's Collegiate Church (Capestang)

Place Jean Jaurès - 34310 Capestang

Impressive by its gothic style the Saint-Etienne's Collegiate Church of Capestang was built during the 13th Century, on a previous Romanesque church of which we can still admire the bell tower. This symbol of Capestang was designed by the same team who built the Narbonne Cathedral. Indeed, when seen closely, both monuments are surprisingly similar. Despite its unfinished look, this building deserves a closer examination, with its beautifully pierced chorus, not to mention the bell tower (possible access during opening hours) where, from top of which you enjoy a magnificent panorama.

In July and August : guided "sunset tours" on fridays or saturdays (contact us to be adviced of the timetable and price) including an ascent to the bell tower which offers an unobstructed 360° view over the entire town of Capestang. Visits are conducted in english and french.

Read more
Fermer la carte
  • Page top